mars 28, 2024, 19:50:56 pm *
Velkommen, Gjest. Vennligst logg inn eller registrer deg.
Har du ikke mottatt e-post for aktivering ?

Logg inn med brukernavn, passord og innloggingstid
Takk for din støtte!
Nyheter: Velkommen til et samlet VWNorge!

Hovedside   Hjelp Søk Logg inn Registrer  
Sider: [1]
  Skriv ut  
Skrevet av Emne: Vise ord fra Cal-look forumet!  (Lest 13948 ganger)
pWolf
Supermedlem

Vis profil
« på: februar 04, 2016, 22:54:27 pm »

Spot on etter min mening!

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25537.0/topicseen.html

California Look dead, my ass. Why is it different than other car hobby segments?

Sorry to see the recent naysayers, stomping around with their "Cal Look's Dead" message.

It's not. The "revival" as most of us know it, is what, 25+ years old now. That's a hell of a long time for something to be "in vogue", and maybe while the California Look is not "dead", is it possible it's just become too proliferated? Twenty five years ago, the average VW guy couldn't order the prime components at lunch on a Monday, and have the stuff on his doorstep a few days later. Which made the cars that had all the hard-to-get stuff something rare, exotic and super special. When you were at a West Coast event and stumbled across Mason's or Schwimmer's cars, it had a real impact. You have to remember, the pages of the Hot VW's magazines weren't celebrating the comeback-  yet. For a while, you couldn't buy new Weber 48's, Weber had stopped making them around 1991 or 92. Cars which ran them on the street were pretty far and few between, and in most cases, the engines that they sat on, needed 48's to run at max potential.
With the advent of Flat 4 BRM's, soon the style began to grow and grow. Engine know-how went from only a few hard core guys knowing "secrets" to internet articles and soon engine kits available from retailers everywhere. Nothing wrong with any of this, as it helped celebrate the style and move it to the forefront of VW modifying scene.

So, in my opinion, the VW hot rod scene sure seems to be all by itself. I talk to all kinds of car guys everyday, through my job. When you find a guy that is either currently or was once into fast VW's, it's like finding a long lost relative. While the other car guys seem to think we're from a different planet. Just a few months ago I was talking to a pretty cool guy that was displaying his "driver" 1968 Lamborghini Espada and we were exchanging notes on how new gasoline in CA runs so badly in Webers and the fire dangers, etc... and then he asks me "what do you own?" And of course when I told him a VW that had been modified to make 180+ hp, with Webers, it was as if I had turned into a fish or something.
Seriously, before you count the scene out for the count... think about it:  We're still keeping the thing alive that guys over 50 years ago were doing, in fact we tend to worship those guys, right? We're taking these tiny little fragile engines designed to wheeze out 50hp and modifying them (not redesigning them!) to make 4+ times that. And then we drive them on the street and they WORK. One of the slowest, most laughed at little cars, can be turned into one hell-raising and threatening street car. And then there's the friendships. A lot of the people that I am close to and have been close to (including my lovely wife) are thanks to my interest and involvement with VW's. How on earth can you acquire relationships, thanks to a hobby, and then spit on that very hobby and call it dead?

I think part of the problem is the hyper-focus on getting others' approval when it comes to how a car looks. To me that's backwards. I'd rather have the car run like Godzilla and stand out, appearance-wise and get people wondering what in the hell is going on. Much more fun. In the early 1990's, when my '67 was Adriatic Porsche Blue and had a big CC motor in it, it stood out, in a way. The color used to elicit all kinds of questions. In fact my old friend Sheep used to go with me to VW shows and so on, and he'd (half) jokingly answer the question "What color is that car?" .... "F-ck You Blue."

Next time the sun's out, roll your car outside, stare at it so it's in its most flattering light, then warm it up and go enjoy it.
Report to moderator     Logged

Loggført

pWolf - Part of the AirWolf crew

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AirWolfs/153115064754266

1965 t1
Trond Dahl
Administrator
Supermedlem

:: DKL ::

Vis profil
« Svar #1 på: februar 04, 2016, 23:06:35 pm »

Hehe veldig bra skrevet, og egentlig kan man trekke den parallellen til for det meste av luftkjølt vw og hvorfor dette er verden beste hobby
Loggført

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"
pWolf
Supermedlem

Vis profil
« Svar #2 på: februar 04, 2016, 23:13:36 pm »

Enig! Det er noe med den følelsen man får når man forteller noen hva man kjører, som skribenten nevner. Jeg blir aldri lei reaksjonene, enten om de er positive eller negative.
Enten man vil eller ei så kan de aller fleste relatere til en gammel veteran bil, uansett merke.

MEN , det beste er når man sier at den bråker, har stor motor og har kjørt Drag med den . Gliser
« Siste redigering: februar 04, 2016, 23:18:05 pm av pWolf » Loggført

pWolf - Part of the AirWolf crew

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AirWolfs/153115064754266

1965 t1
Sider: [1]
  Skriv ut  

Gå til:  

Bygget på MySQL Bygget på PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines XHTML 1.0 godkjent! CSS godkjent!